Sunday, April 22, 2018

 

Sunday Reflection: On the Good Shepherd


In many churches today, the readings will feature the passage from John where Jesus describes "the Good Shepherd." I'm giving a little sermon on that today, in fact (more on that later in the week).

Back in Waco, my friend Blaine McCormick got interested in shepherds and what they really do. Since we lived in the middle of Texas, there were actually some around to talk to, too. My conversations with him really connected me to what Jesus was alluding to-- actually people in the countryside. 

I've always been fascinated by their tool, the shepherd's crook. It was that curved hook at the end, which is used to hook around the neck of a wayward sheep when all else fails, that has really intrigued me.

In thinking about this passage, I keep coming back to the shepherd's crook. I would imagine that the good shepherd does not have to use it much-- he is able to understand and influence the movements of the sheep without forcing them physically to do this or that.

And isn't that it, really-- the core of what makes a good shepherd, in reality or metaphorically? It means that influence and the power of knowledge combine with the will of the sheep to displace the need to force anyone to do anything. It is a description of the follower and God, as Jesus intended it to be heard, I think.

In the earthly realm, I know some leaders like that, too-- the ones who do not have to use the crook. Now I admire them all the more.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#