Wednesday, May 17, 2017

 

Dispatch from France!


So... my parents are spending a month in Provence, where there are many people and places they love. They have spent the Spring there for three decades or so now-- long enough to know very well what to see and appreciate there. My dad wrote about it on his blog this week:

I am in the first stage of exploring – the getting out of your chair stage. This will be the time that I stumble on the the subject or direction that I will be taking. I left Detroit with the idea that I will be painting large canvases filled with movement and color. The motion of the trees, fields and vines as the strong clear winds of the mistral sweeps through them has always captured my imagination.. The wind turns the leaves over and over as the sunlight comes through them. While we are here the pace of our lives becomes slower and we give more of our time to seeing, smelling and hearing nature all around us. This is a wonderful place to explore and create.

In the coming weeks, I will begin to paint in a friend’s atelier and keep you posted. When I start to paint I often stand back and spend a lot of time looking at an empty canvas. I will often stop and wipe out an ugly start. Sometimes find myself staring out in space. Is this staring at my empty canvas part of my creative process?  I think so. I will find out.

You can read more here.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

#